- 1 Delhi Police inducts first all-woman SWAT team for anti-terrorist operations
- 2 Govt approves proposal for setting up of water aerodromes in the country
- 3 Santhali becomes first Indian tribal language to get its own Wikipedia edition
- 4 Pune ranked first in Ease of Living Index 2018: Delhi at 65
- 5 Govt announces 50% reservation for women in RPF jawans recruitment
- 6 Latest Current Affairs
Delhi Police inducts first all-woman SWAT team for anti-terrorist operations
- The Delhi Police has inducted India’s first all-woman Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team for anti-terrorist operations.
- The 36 women commandos from the northeastern states have undergone 15 months’ of rigorous training from specialists all across India and abroad.
- 13 members of the squad are from Assam; the rest of them are from Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Manipur.
- The all-women SWAT team has received better ratings at the Police Training College in Jharoda Kalan than their male counterparts.
- The women commandos will be deployed at Red Fort and India Gate during Independence Day celebrations.
Govt approves proposal for setting up of water aerodromes in the country
- The Civil Aviation Ministry has approved a proposal for setting up of water aerodromes in the country.
- The Chilika Lake in Odisha, Sardar Sarovar Dam, and Sabarmati River Front in Gujarat have been identified for the first phase for development.
- The proposal was cleared by Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- In June this year, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) issued regulations for water aerodromes.
Santhali becomes first Indian tribal language to get its own Wikipedia edition
- Santhali has become the first Indian tribal language to get a Wikipedia edition in its native script.
- The Santhali Wikipedia edition went live in the month of August 2018.
- The Santhali Wikipedia edition received approval from the Wikimedia Foundation’s language committee on June 28th and went live on August 2nd.
- To make this page possible, Wikipedia contributors from India, Bangladesh and Nepal generated content.
- Santhali is written in Ol Chiki script and is spoken by 6.4 million people according to the 2001 census.
- In India, those who speak live mostly in Jharkhand, West Bengal, Odisha and Assam. The language is also spoken in Bangladesh and Nepal.
Pune ranked first in Ease of Living Index 2018: Delhi at 65
- Total 11 Cities were ranked under the “Ease of Living Index 2018” which was released by Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri.
- Pune has been ranked first while Navi Mumbai has surfaced as the second preferred spot in terms of “liveability”.
- The Top Ten Cities in “Ease of Living Index” 2018 List are – Pune, Navi Mumbai, Greater Mumbai, Tirupati, Chandigarh, Thane, Raipur, Indore, Vijayawada, Bhopal.
Govt announces 50% reservation for women in RPF jawans recruitment
- Union Railways Minister Piyush Goyal has announced a 50% reservation for women in the upcoming recruitment of 9,500-10,000 jawans for the Railway Protection Force (RPF).
- The aim is to create more employment opportunities for women.
- The RPF is one of the biggest work forces in the country.