UNDP to set up skill development centre in Hyderabad
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will set up a skill development centre at Bharosa, Hyderabad, for distressed women and children.
- This is an initiative of Hyderabad City Police and will be an integrated support centre.
- The initiative is aimed at empowering vulnerable and marginalised women by teaching them skills and giving them training for them to earn a living.
- It is an initiative under the Disha project and aims to make women who are affected by violence economically self-sufficient.
Government to link 200 more mandis to eNAM
- The Union Government will link 200 additional wholesale mandis to its online trading platform eNAM (electronic National Agriculture Market).
- Currently, there are 585 regulated mandis in 14 states linked with the eNAM.
- 73.50 lakh farmers, 53,163 commission agents and over 1 lakh traders are registered on the platform.
ISRO working on environment-friendly propellant
- Scientists at ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) are developing an environment-friendly propellant propellant blend.
- The new experimental fuel is based on hydroxylammonium nitrate (HAN) and ISRO is looking to use it to power satellites and spacecraft.
Piyush Goyal to take over Finance Ministry, Smriti Irani moved out of I&B
- Railways and coal minister Piyush Goyal will hold charge of the finance and corporate affairs ministries till Arun Jaitley returns.
- In the cabinet reshuffle, Smriti Irani has been assigned to handle the Ministry of Textiles, having been left out of the high-profile information and broadcasting (I&B) ministry.
- Here’s the new-look cabinet: Piyush Goyal (Finance Ministry), Smriti Irani (Textiles Ministry), Rajvardhan Rathore (Information and Broadcasting Ministry), SS Ahluwalia (Electronics Ministry), and KJ Alphons (Tourism Ministry).
Lata Mangeshkar conferred with Swara Mauli Award
- Singer Lata Mangeshkar was honoured with the title of “Swara Mauli” by spiritual guru Vidya Narsimha Bharati Swami at her residence in Prabhu Kunj.
- Present on the occasion were her sisters Asha Bhosle and Usha Mangeshkar, and her brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar.
- In 2001, Lata Mangeshkar was awarded the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in India. She was only the second vocalist, after MS Subbulakshmi, to receive the honour.