- 1 Guatemala Moves Its Embassy To Jerusalem
- 2 Union Government Takes Action To Remove CEO Usha Ananthasubramaniam of Allahabad Bank
- 3 RBI imposes lending, Deposit Curbs on Allahabad Bank
- 4 4th Meeting of SAWEN held in Kolkata, India
- 5 4 States, 1 UT signs MoUs for implementation of Ayushman Bharat Scheme
- 6 First All-Woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra starts operations in Phagwara, Punjab
- 7 Sulabh International Founder Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak honored with Nikkei Asia Prize
- 8 Latest Current Affairs
Guatemala Moves Its Embassy To Jerusalem
Guatemala on 16th May opened its new Embassy in Jerusalem and became the second country to do so after United States. This move was made two days earlier.
This move gave Israel a Diplomatic Boost as it faces International Criticism for the deadly violence in Gaza Border.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that it was fitting since Guatemala followed the United States to be the second country to recognize Israel 70 years ago.
President Donal Trump announced its decision in December 2017, to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the American Embassy there, triggering criticism from countries across the world including some US Closest Allies.
Union Government Takes Action To Remove CEO Usha Ananthasubramaniam of Allahabad Bank
The Union Government initiates to take an action for the removal of Allahabad CEO- Usha Ananthasubramaniam, released the first charge sheet in the USD 2 Billion Fraud case of PNB.
The Bank Board asked to divest Ananthasubramaniam of all the powers and initiate further action.
Usha Ananthasubramaniam was the M. D and CEO of the Punjab National Bank from 2015-2017.
RBI imposes lending, Deposit Curbs on Allahabad Bank
The RBI has imposed lending and deposit restrictions on Allahabad Bank, including the expansion of risky assets and creation of non-banking assets.
The RBI asked the bank to reduce the exposure to unrated and high-risk advances.
The RBI directive comes in the wake of the bank’s common equity tier-I breaching the minimum regulatory requirement of 7.37 percent in March 2018.
4th Meeting of SAWEN held in Kolkata, India
The fourth meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN), which is an Inter-Governmental Wildlife Law Enforcement Agency was held in Kolkata, West Bengal India from 8th May- 10th May 2018.
This is the first meeting of SAWEN in India since its inception in 2011.
This two-day conference was attended by seven (excluding Pakistan) out of eight countries- Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri- Lanka and Maldives.
4 States, 1 UT signs MoUs for implementation of Ayushman Bharat Scheme
Four States and One Union Territory signed MoU with National Health Mission of the Union Government for implementing Ayushman- Bharat- Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Swasthya Suraksha Mission (PMRSSM).
These States and UT’s are Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, and Chandigarh (UT).
These MoUs were signed during Ayushman Bharat Northern Region’s first workshop on PMRSSM at Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
First All-Woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra starts operations in Phagwara, Punjab
The Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) will be run by all women team to begin its operation in Phagwara, Punjab.
- This Passport Kendra is 192nd in the country and this is the first one to be operated by an all-women team.
- It will serve to the people of Kapurthala, Nawandhar, and Jalandhar rural districts.
Sulabh International Founder Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak honored with Nikkei Asia Prize
- The Founder of Sulabh International Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak was honoured with Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution in Asia’s Development.
- Pathak is known to be as India’s Social Reformer, tackling with country’s two biggest challenges: poor hygiene and discrimination.
- The Nikkei Asia Prize is honoured to those people who have made significant contribution in the following areas: Economic and Business Innovation, Science, Technology and Environment and Culture and Community.