- 1 NPCI launches upgraded UPI with overdraft facility
- 2 India’s First Project of Swadesh Darshan Launched in Manipur
- 3 K S Srinivas appointed chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority
- 4 Smitha V. Crishna tops list of India’s wealthiest women
- 5 N Raghuram becomes first India to be elected Chair of International Nitrogen Initiative
- 6 Latest Current Affairs
NPCI launches upgraded UPI with overdraft facility
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched an upgraded unified payments interface (UPI).
- The new UPI comes with better security and overdraft facility.
- The upgraded UPI, which is referred to as UPI 2.0, was launched by the RBI governor Urjit Patel.
- Through the new UPI, customers can create a mandate, providing commitment to pay money, but paying later.
- Customers will also be able to check the invoice before making a payment.
India’s First Project of Swadesh Darshan Launched in Manipur
- The Manipur Governor, Dr. Najma A. Heptulla inaugurated the project ‘Development of North East Circuit: Imphal & Khongjom’ implemented under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
- The Project covers two sites – Kangla Fort in Imphal and Khongjom was taken up at a estimated cost of Rs 72, 22, 82607 under the Union Ministry of Tourism.
- Swadesh Darshan (tour of country) is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Tourism for the development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner.
- The scheme was launched in 2014-15and the ministry has so far sanctioned 70 projects at a cost of Rs 5,708.88 crore.
K S Srinivas appointed chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority
- IAS officer K S Srinivas has taken over as Chairman of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA).
- Prior to his appointment, he served as Joint Secretary in Department of Agriculture Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare in Ministry of Agriculture.
Smitha V. Crishna tops list of India’s wealthiest women
- Third-generation heir of the Godrej family Smitha V. Crishna has topped the Kotak Wealth Hurun-Leading Wealthy Women 2018 list.
- Crishna’s wealth is estimated at Rs.37,570 crore (Rs.375.7 billion).
- She owns one-fifth of the Godrej Group.
- Roshni Nadar, CEO and executive director at HCL, ranks second on the list, with an estimated wealth of Rs.30,200 crore (Rs.302 billion).
- Third on the list is chairperson of the Times Group, Indu Jain, with Rs.26,240 crore (Rs.262.4 billion).
N Raghuram becomes first India to be elected Chair of International Nitrogen Initiative
- Indian scientist N Raghuram has become the first Indian and the first Asian to be elected Chair of the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI).
- Raghuram specialises in the biological determinants of the efficiency of the use of nitrogen in crops.
- He will formally take up the role on January 1st, 2019.
- David Kanter of the New York University, an expert in the role of nitrous oxide and nitrogen policy evaluation, has been elected as Vice-Chair.