Biggest Ever Rescue Operation In Flood-Affected Kerala
- The NDRF has the biggest ever relief and rescue operation in flood-affected Kerala.
- A total of 58 teams have been deputed to work in the state out of which 55 are working on the ground. This is the highest ever deployment of NDRF in a single state since its raising in 2006.
- After the review, PM Modi announced a financial assistance of Rs 500 crore to the State.This is in addition to Rs. 100 Cr. announced by the Home Minister.
- PM also announced ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh per person to the next kin of the deceased and Rs. 50,000 to those seriously injured from PM’s National Relief Funds.
World Humanitarian Day celebrated today – 19th August 2018
- The World Humanitarian Day is observed across the world on August 19 to pay tribute to workers who risk their lives in humanitarian services and to gather support for people affected by crises around the world.
- The campaign launched on World Humanitarian Day is “#NotATarget”.
- The day was designated by the UN General Assembly to commemorate the 19 August 2003 bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, Iraq.
India Wins SAFF U-15 Championship Defeating Bangladesh
- India defeated Bangladeshin the final of the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Under-15 Women’s Championship in Thimpu, Bhutan. A solitary second-half strike by Sunita Munda helped the Indian U-15 team clinch the title.
- This is the second edition of the Championship. Bangladesh had won the inaugural edition last year, beating India, 1-0 in the final played at Dhaka.
Asian Games 2018 begins in Indonesia
- This year’s Asian Games, also known as Jakarta Palembang 2018, has started from 18th August to 02nd September in the Indonesian cities of Jakarta and Palembang.
- It is the second time when Jakarta is hosting the sports games after 1962.
- A total of 572 Indian athleteswill be participating in the event in 36 different sports categories. The contingent will be led by Chef de Mission Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh.
Former UN chief and Nobel laureate Kofi Annan Passes Away
- Former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has passed away at the age of 80. Annan, who was the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations, served at the UN from 1997 to 2006.
- Annan was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize along with the UN in 2001 “for their work for a better organized and more peaceful world”.