Idea Cellular, Vodafone complete merger
- The merger of Idea Cellular and Vodafone India has been completed.
- This creates India’s biggest telecom service provider with over 408 million subscribers, taking top spot from Bharti Airtel.
- Vodafone Idea Ltd will have all India revenue market share of 32.2%.
- Balesh Sharma has been appointed Vodafone-Idea’s first CEO.
IWAI makes India’s first standardized modern ship design for Ganga a reality
- The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has made public 13 standardized state-of-the-art ship designs suitable for large barge haulage on the river Ganga (National Waterway-1).
- This marks a critical milestone in the growth of the country’s Inland Water Transport (IWT).
- It will help overcome the unique navigation challenges of the Ganga.
- It will also help the domestic shipbuilding industry working on inland vessels, opening possibilities for cargo and passenger movement on National Waterway-1.
HRD Ministry launches ‘Atal Ranking’ for institutions
- The human resource development (HRD) ministry launched the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARRIA).
- The aim is to promote a culture of innovation and research in higher education.
- The rankings are named after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The ARRIA will rank educational institutions for innovation output based on all major indicators and parameters used globally.
PM Narendra Modi launches India Post Payments Bank
- PM Narendra Modi is set to launch the India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) at Talkatora Stadium in New Delhi.
- IPPB has been envisioned as an accessible, affordable and trusted bank for the common man.
- The aim is to help achieve the financial inclusion objectives of the Union Government in a quick manner.
- IPPB will utilize the vast network of the Department of Posts which covers the country with more than 300,000 Postmen and Grameen Dak Sewaks.
- At launch, IPPB will have 650 branches and 3,250 access points across the country.