- 1 Union HRD minister releases AISHE Report 2017-18
- 2 Karnataka surpasses Tamil Nadu to become India’s leader in renewable energy: IEEFA report
- 3 HCL Technologies displaces Wipro as India’s third largest IT services firm
- 4 New Ebola virus strain discovered in Sierra Leone, dubbed Bombali
- 5 Johannesburg Declaration adopted at BRICS Summit 2018
- 6 Latest Current Affairs
Union HRD minister releases AISHE Report 2017-18
- On the occasion of Guru Purnima, the Ministry of Human Resource Development organised a National Conference of Vice Chancellors & Directors of Higher Education Institutions of India in New Delhi.
- HRD’s Union Minister Prakash Javadekar released the All India Survey of Higher Education (AISHE) Report 2017-18, Higher Educational Profile 2017-18, and Swachh Campus Manual.
- The theme of the conference was “Research and innovation in Higher Education.”
Karnataka surpasses Tamil Nadu to become India’s leader in renewable energy: IEEFA report
- According to the US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) report, Karnataka is the new national leader in renewable energy generation.
- Karnataka has surpassed Tamil Nadu which was India’s best renewable market, and had been for quite some time.
- Up to March 2018, Karnataka had 12.3 gigawatts (GW) of renewable capacity installed.
HCL Technologies displaces Wipro as India’s third largest IT services firm
- HCL Technologies Ltd surpassed Wipro Ltd to become India’s third-biggest software services firm.
- This is the first time in six years that the country’s $167 billion information technology (IT) outsourcing industry has had a change in the order.
- The dollar revenue of Noida-based HCL Technologies increased by 0.8% to $2.05 billion in the quarter that ended on June 30th, when compared with the preceding three months.
- During this time, Wipro’s dollar revenue declined by 1.7% to $2.03 billion.
New Ebola virus strain discovered in Sierra Leone, dubbed Bombali
- A new strain of the Ebola virus has been discovered in bats in Sierra Leone.
- It has been dubbed Bombali.
- It is not known whether this strain can develop into the Ebola virus. But scientists say that it could be transmitted to humans.
- The Ebola virus outbreak ended two years ago and claimed over 11,000 lives across West Africa.
Johannesburg Declaration adopted at BRICS Summit 2018
- The 2018 BRICS Summit adopted the Johannesburg Declaration by consensus.
- The heads of state and government of all five BRICS nations including Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa convened for the 10th BRICS Summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The theme was to collaborate for inclusive growth and shared prosperity in the 4th Industrial Revolution.