- 1 Jharkhand to set up India’s first Khadi mall
- 2 Vijay Srinivas named Director & General Manager of United India Insurance
- 3 Bhitarkanika National Park is largest habitat of endangered estuarine crocodiles
- 4 Artist Anjolie Ela Menon conferred Kalidas award
- 5 Australia wins Hockey Champions Trophy final 2018
- 6 Latest Current Affairs
Jharkhand to set up India’s first Khadi mall
- The country’s first ‘Khadi Mall’ will open in Jharkhand soon, Chief Minister Raghubar Das has said.
- Land in the Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) campus will be made available to the Khadi Board for the purpose.
- Technological aid will be provided to khadi artisans, which will give their products more value.
- Rural, urban and tourism ‘haats’ will provide khadi artisans with the markets to sell their goods.
Vijay Srinivas named Director & General Manager of United India Insurance
- The United India Insurance Company announced the appointment of K B Vijay Srinivas as its Director and General Manager.
- Prior to this, Srinivas served as Chief Marketing Officer and General Manager of the National Insurance Company Ltd.
- Srinivas has received many awards in his 37-year career, and is an associate member of Insurance Institute of India.
Bhitarkanika National Park is largest habitat of endangered estuarine crocodiles
- A record number of endangered estuarine crocodile nesting sites have been found in Bhitarkanika National Park in Odisha.
- A total of 101 nesting sites of the rare crocodile species were found this year. In contrast, just 80 nesting sites were found last year.
- A female estuarine crocodile can lays 50 to 60 eggs in a clutch and the hatchlings usually emerge from their nests after 70 to 80 days of incubation.
- 1,698 crocodiles were counted this year in the Mahanadi delta region; the figure recorded last year was 1,682.
- Estuarine crocodiles are also found in the Sundarbans of West Bengal, which have the country’s largest mangrove cover.
Artist Anjolie Ela Menon conferred Kalidas award
- The Madhya Pradesh government has conferred noted artist Anjolie Ela Menon (78) the National Kalidas Samman for visual arts.
- She received the award in recognition of her insightful and sensitive portrayal of the identity and spirit of women through her meaningful paintings in a variety of media.
- In her long and illustrious career, Menon has received numerous national and international awards including the Padma Shri.
- She recently received a doctorate from Rabindra Bharati University.
Australia wins Hockey Champions Trophy final 2018
- Australia beat India at the 37th (and final) Hockey Champions Trophy (HCT) final in penalty shoot-outs.
- The match was tied 1-1 after regulation time.
- India won their second consecutive silver medal, and hosts, the Netherlands, came third, winning the bronze medal.
- This was Australia’s record 15th Champions Trophy title.
- The 2018 edition of the HCT will be the last edition; the tournament will be replaced by the Hockey Pro League (HPL) in 2019.