Every government job aspirant has a desire to work with the largest recruiter of India such as the Indian Railways. Now, with the upcoming RRB NTPC and RRB Group D examination, Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) is offering a golden opportunity to the aspirants to make a career in the Indian Railways. A job in the Indian Railways not only receives social respect, but it also comes with many perks and benefits.
Latest Update – RRB NTPC and Group D exam dates have been released. Click Here to download RRB NTPC Admit Card 2021 and to get all the updates related to RRB NTPC 2021 exam.
Let us take a look at some of the benefits of working with the Indian Railways (RRB):
- Availability of Free Railway Travel Pass and Privilege Ticket Order (PTO): A person employed with the Indian Railways is entitled to enjoy free travel passes every year. The railway travel pass is valid for 5 months and can be used for one round trip in a year. The employer can use this pass to travel to any of the places, which comes under the network covered by the Indian Railways. The dependent(s) of the employee can accompany him/her on the tour. The class of the coach and the number of passes which an employee can avail depends on his/her post. During the first five years of employment, the non-gazetted officers can avail one set of rail passes which will cover the round trip, and from the 6th year of employment, they can get three sets of travel passes. The gazetted officers get six sets of travel passes per year. In addition to the free railway travel pass, the employees are also provided with 3 sets of the Privilege Ticket Order (PTO) per year, which can be used to book a ticket at one-third of the base price.
- Job Security and Pensionable Employment: One of the perks of a government job is that it comes with financial security for a lifetime. The job offered by the Indian Railways is no exception. Once you are hired by the Indian Railways, there is a surety that you will enjoy job security until the time of your retirement. The Indian Railways values its employees and to reward its employees for the continued service, it offers pension facilities to the retired employees. Even after the employee’s demise, the family continues to receive the pension. If the employee dies while in service or is declared medically unfit to work, then on the basis of compassionate grounds, the job can be transferred to any of the family members, provided he/she has the required educational qualification.
- Special Allowances and Medical Facilities: Along with the basic pay, an employee of the Indian Railways receives a hoard of other allowances such as dearness allowance, travel allowance, benefits of grade pay, house rent allowance, and increased salary in accordance with the 7th pay commission. Along with the special allowances, the Indian Railway employees and their dependents can avail free medical facilities at the Railway hospitals, which have a decent standard of treatment. Indian Railways have tie-ups with many prominent private hospitals, where the patient can be transferred in case of an emergency. If the patient is transferred to a corporate hospital, all the expenses will be borne by the Indian Railways.
- Study Leaves: A job in the Indian Railways will also offer opportunities to those candidates who want to pursue higher studies as it offers study leaves to its employees. Additionally, the expense of the higher studies will be borne by the Railways.
- Residential Quarters and Subsidized Meals: Indian Railways offer residential quarters to all its employees within the railway colonies. These quarters are built and maintained by the engineering department of the Railways. The Railway employees living in these quarters can avail all the basic amenities and facilities by paying a nominal fee. In these railway colonies, Indian Railways have constructed their schools and colleges, where good education facilities are offered to the children of the employees. Railway employees are also entitled to receive subsidized breakfast and lunch at every railway canteen, all across the nation.
In addition to the above-mentioned benefits, Indian Railways also offers extra incentives and overtime, when the employee serves more than the assigned work hours. All these perks and benefits offered by the Indian Railways make it one of the most attractive career choices.