- 1 NITI Aayog panel draws up a plan to save Himalayan springs
- 2 Arif Alvi elected Pakistan’s new president
- 3 India to generate 100GW from solar energy by 2022: Suresh Prabhu
- 4 Asia Index launches an index to measure the performance of private banks
- 5 International Women Entrepreneurs Summit 2018 held in Nepal
NITI Aayog panel draws up a plan to save Himalayan springs
- NITI Aayog has constituted a panel of experts, who have stressed the importance of reviving spring water systems in the Himalayas.
- The panel says that almost 30% of Himalayan springs crucial to water security of people are drying and 50% have reported reduced discharge.
Arif Alvi elected Pakistan’s new president
- Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf candidate Arif-ur-Rehman Alvi has been elected 13th President of Pakistan.
- Alvi secured 212 of the 430 votes.
- Alvi will succeed Mamnoon Hussain and will assume office on September 9th.
India to generate 100GW from solar energy by 2022: Suresh Prabhu
- Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, has said that India has set a target of generating 100 GW from solar energy by 2022.
- The aim is to increase the share of carbon-free energy.
- This was revealed at the International Solar Alliance (ISA) Innovation and Investment Forum in New Delhi.
- The ISA was conceived by PM Narendra Modi in 2015 as a treaty-based international intergovernmental organization.
- The ISA aims at co-operation between 121 solar rich countries. These are nations that lie fully or partially between the tropics.
- The goal is the massive deployment of solar energy to make solar energy affordable.
Asia Index launches an index to measure the performance of private banks
- Asia Index Pvt Ltd has announced the launch of an index designed to measure the performance of private banks.
- It is called the S&P BSE Private Banks Index, and it is drawn from the constituents of the S&P BSE Finance Index.
- The index is calculated in Indian Rupees and US Dollars. It is calculated in real-time by the BSE.
- Asia Index Pvt Ltd is a joint venture between S&P Dow Jones Indices and BSE Ltd.
International Women Entrepreneurs Summit 2018 held in Nepal
- The International Women Entrepreneurs Summit 2018 is being held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The theme of the event is “Equality begins with Economic Empowerment”.
- The main objective of the summit is to bring together achievers, women business leaders, professionals, and other stakeholders.
- The focus of the summit is on innovative economic transformation through discussions and collaborations.