- 1 Khangchendzonga becomes 11th biosphere reserve from India to be included in World Network of Biosphere Reserves
- 2 S Gopakumar appointed director and GM of United India Insurance
- 3 NGT sets up panel to monitor Ganga rejuvenation project
- 4 Goa launches new app-based taxi service, GoaMiles
- 5 NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh elected Deputy Chairperson of Rajya Sabha
- 6 Latest Current Affairs
Khangchendzonga becomes 11th biosphere reserve from India to be included in World Network of Biosphere Reserves
- The Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve has become the 11th Biosphere Reserve from India that has been included in the UNESCO designated World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR).
- The decision was taken at the 30th Session of International Coordinating Council (ICC) of Man and Biosphere (MAB) Programme of UNESCO held at Palembang, Indonesia.
- Sikkim’s Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve is one of the highest ecosystems in the world, reaching elevations of 1, 220 metres above sea level.
- It has sub-tropic to Arctic ecolines as well as natural forests in different biomes, supporting an immensely rich diversity of forest types and habitats.
- The core zone – Khangchendzonga National Park – was designated a World Heritage Site in 2016 under the ‘mixed’ category.
S Gopakumar appointed director and GM of United India Insurance
- S Gopakumar has been appointed as Whole Time Director on the Board of United India Insurance, the public sector non-life insurance company.
- Gopakumar has taken charge as Director and General Manager of the company.
- Prior to this, Gopakumar served as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of GIC Housing Finance Ltd.
NGT sets up panel to monitor Ganga rejuvenation project
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) constituted a committee for monitoring the Ganga rejuvenation project.
- The project aims at cleaning up the Ganga River from Haridwar to Unnao in Uttar Pradesh.
- The committee will be headed by a former Allahabad High Court judge.
Goa launches new app-based taxi service, GoaMiles
- Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and Tourism Minister Manohar Ajgaonkar flagged off the Goa Tourism Development Corporation’s app-based taxi service, dubbed GoaMiles, in Panaji.
- The app attempts to ensure that commuters are not cheated, and at the same time make sure that earnings of taxi drivers increase by two to three times.
- The GoaMiles service is aimed at bringing about transparency in fares for customers.
NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh elected Deputy Chairperson of Rajya Sabha
- The Rajya Sabha has elected NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh as the Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson.
- Singh went up against joint opposition candidate B K Hariprasad.
- Harivansh Singh received 125 votes, while Hariprasad received 105 votes.