Timeline of Indian History With a vivid and rich past, Indian History Timeline is all filled in with legal, and territorial changes, political changes in India, and its predecessor states. Indian History is made up of many events and cultures of Rulers and kings that invaded India, Fought for the land and won for the expansion for their empire here. We are providing you with the with the Important Dates and Events in Indian History. Anyone can check and download the PDF file of Indian History Chronological Order. The Timeline of Indian History is divided into three major Times; Ancient Indian History, Medieval Indian History, Modern Indian History.
Timeline of Indian History | Ancient Indian History
Chronologically, Indian History has been classified into 3 parts. The furthest and most ancient classification is of Ancient Indian History. There were activities of Homo erectus in the Indian subcontinent 2 million years ago, and of Homo sapiens since 70,000 BC. The first inhabitants of Indian subcontinent might have been tribals like Nagas, Santhals, Bhils, Gonds, Todas, etc. In the ancient times, Indian subcontinent comprised of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Tibet, and Myanmar. The timeline of Indian history for Ancient time dates from 2 Million BC to 800 AD. Various periods that are accounted under the Ancient Indian History are:
- Paleolithic Period (2 million BC – 10,000 BC) – The early man, better called as proto-humans, were known for inventions and usage of Fire, Stone Weapons, etc.
- Mesolithic Period (10,000 BC – 8,000 BC) – Major Climatic Changes happened, Humans Started Domestication of Cattle and other animals.
- Neolithic Period (8000 BC – 4,000 BC) – Agriculture and harvesting started, Wheel was discovered.
- Chalcolithic Period (4000 BC – 1,500 BC) – Better known as Copper Age, Indus Valley Civilization came into being.
- Iron Age (BC 1500 – BC 200) – It was the Vedic Period, Nearly 1000 years of the arrival of Aryans, Jainism Buddhism, Major Civilizations after Indus Valley Civilization like Mahajanapadas, Magadha Empire, Sisunga dynasty, Nanda Empire, and a major event of Alexander, the great arrived 327 BC.
- Mauryan Empire (321-185 BC) – Major Empire and rulers like Chandra Gupta Maurya, Bindusara, Asoka the great ruled over India and brought in their culture to the country.
- Gupta Kingdom (300AD – 800AD) – Classical Period ruled by Samudra Gupta, followed by Harshvardana, Vakatakas, Pallavas, Chalukyas. Also, Hunas, Maitrakas, Rajputs, Senas, and Chauhans.
Timeline of Indian History | Medival Indian History
In the timeline of Indian History, India was ruled over by many Islamic Rulers. Rulers who were foreigners and not the inhabitant of then, Indian Subcontinent came to India and established their rule. Mughal Empire followed the Delhi Sultanate Period. The Medival Indian History was witness to many great wars and greatest of Rulers along with increased cultural diversity. Rulers came, ruled over the country and left behind a pile of History of their laurels. Songs of such martyr heroes and rulers are still prevalent all over the world. Following major events took place in Medival Indian History.
- In the 800 AD war broke out among Pratiharas, Palas, and Rashtrakutas. The war invited foreign invaders and in the 712 AD, Mohammad Bin Kassim attacked the country.
- With the invasion of Foreign rulers, religions like Islam and Sufism prevailed which was followed by the invasion by Mohammed Ghazni (AD 1000 – 27) and Mohammed Ghori (AD 1175 – 1206).
- Delhi Sultanate (1206 AD – 1526 AD) – Invasions by various rulers and establishment of several dynasties one after the another, Slave Dynasty, Khilji Dynasty, Tuglaq Dynasty, Sayyad Dynasty, Lodi Dynasty.
- Mughal Empire ( 1526 AD – 1857 AD) – Babur the first ruler of Mughal Empire, came to India and invaded India in 1497. Later in 1530, Akbar took over the Empire and ruled it for a long time until his son Jahangir took over. In 1611 AD East India Company came to India imposed as the Business Traders and ruled India for the next 200 years.
Timeline of Indian History | Modern Indian History
Modern Indian history is the most recent Timeline of Indian History. The year 1751 specifically, turned Britain into the most powerful colonial power in India. The then King of Bengal and the last ruler Siraj Ud Daullah was taken over by the British Empire and began the rule of Britain over India that turned the country into a slave country. Times then had seen Britain ruling over most parts of the world starting as the trading partners and turning into rulers of many countries.
Following events followed the event of invasions in the years to come.
- First War of Indian Independence (1857)
- Formation of Indian National Congress (1885)
- Formation of Muslim League (1906)
- Non-Co-operation Movement (1920)
- Civil Disobedience Movement (1930)
- Quit India Movement (1942)
- Partition of India (1947) India got Independence on 15th August 1947 and came to know as the Republic of India.
- Constitutional Development of India (1946 – 1950)
- Economic Development of India
- Wars – India-Pak – Formation of Bangladesh; India- China
- New Economic Policy of 1991
- Nuclear, Space and Defense Development